Fall 2014 Revision
Article I: Name and Objectives
Section 1: The name of the organization governed by this constitution shall be the Mathematics and Science Secondary Education organization (MASSE).
Section 2: The objectives of this organization shall be to:
(1) Promote interest in mathematics and science education;
(2) Disseminate information regarding the preparation of teachers at Truman State University; and
(3) Provide an opportunity for personal interaction for future mathematics and science teachers.
Article II: Membership
Section 1: Membership in this organization shall be restricted to undergraduate students who major in mathematics or a science, graduate students in the M.A.E. program in mathematics or a science, and faculty members of the university.
Section 2: Members attain voting privileges after attending at least one meeting of the organization.
Article III: Officers
Section 1: The officers of this organization shall be a President who is responsible for running the meetings and ensuring that MASSE renews its yearly registration form with the CSI and fulfills other procedural requirements, a Vice-President who shall substitute for absent officers and who will also be responsible for risk management, and a secretary who is responsible for taking the minutes of each meeting, taking attendance, and publicizing the meetings.
Section 2: New offices may be created as necessary by a majority vote of those present at a meeting.
Article IV: Election of Officers
Officers shall be elected annually at the last meeting of the spring semester. They will take office at the beginning of the fall semester of the following school year. Election shall be by majority vote of those present. In case of vacancy, the President may appoint a temporary officer until an election can be held. To be eligible to hold an office, members must have attended at least one fall and one spring meeting in the academic year of the election.
Article V: Meetings
Meetings will be held at least once each semester.
Article VI: Finances
Section 1: Dues/Membership Fees
No dues or fees are collected.
The president is in charge of seeking permission from the faculty advisor for authorizing all expenditures and reimbursements.
Section 3: Dissolution of Funds
If MASSE dissolves, the remaining funds will be given to the School of Science and Mathematics.
Article VII: Advisor
Section 1: Selection of Advisor(s)
A new advisor shall be recommended by the president and vice president with the assistance of mathematics and science faculty. The recommended advisor must be approved by the membership.
Section 2: Qualifications
All advisors must be Truman Faculty or Staff, preferably a mathematics or science faculty member familiar with the Mathematics/Science-MAE program.
Section 3: Roles/Duties of the Advisor
- Shall work with current members to identify MASSE’s goals.
- Shall attend as many meetings as possible.
- Shall assist the officers in correcting and identify concerns or problems, if necessary.
- Shall encourage the organization to follow all Truman rules as well as local, state, and federal laws.
Section 4: Restrictions
Must not reserve rooms under ‘MASSE’ for activities or events that are not related to MASSE.
Section 5: Term
Shall serve without a term limitation
Article VIII: Amendments
Amendments to the Constitution shall require a three fourths vote of members present at a meeting. Any proposed amendments shall be presented to members at least one week prior to voting upon it to allow ample time for consideration.
Article IX: Risk Management
Section 1: Risk Management Procedures
- The vice president will be in charge of risk management.
- To lower risk in the organization, the president and vice president shall review and assess MASSE event plans with the faculty advisor prior to their occurrence.
- Members shall immediately inform the faculty advisor, president, or vice president if any risk within MASSE may arise.
Section 2: Anti-Hazing:
MASSE fully understands and will abide by the anti-hazing policy as set forth in the Student Conduct Code of Truman State University 8.050.2. Expectations for Student Organization Conduct Section 14: Abusive affiliation.